Skip to Content
Call to Setup a Consultation 215-515-9901

Enforcing a Child Support Order

Child Support

Family courts treat child-related matters very seriously. If your former spouse stopped making child support payments, there are strict laws in place designed to enforce child support orders. To assist you with the process and ensure it is speedily resolved, you should hire an experienced family law attorney to represent your case.

How to Ensure Your Child Support Order is Enforced

If you have a child support order in place and your ex refuses to fulfill this obligation, family courts have many enforcement tools at their disposal.

A parent who refuses to pay child support may be subject to one or more of these enforcement tools:

  • One of the most common enforcement tools is income withholding. With this tool, child support payments will be taken directly from your ex’s wages, ensuring you receive the funds you are owed.
  • If your ex will receive a large tax refund, the state can intercept it to cover the late or missing child support payments.
  • A delinquent parent may also have a driver’s license suspended or revoked. Additionally, that parent may also be prevented from renewing a passport.
  • In some circumstances, a delinquent spouse may be in contempt of court, resulting in a fine, jail time, or both.

Additionally, the U.S. Office of the Inspector General (OIG) may get involved in a child support case if the paying parent does not live in the same state as the receiving parent and children and one or more of the following applies:

  • The amount involved is greater than $5,000
  • Your ex refused to pay child support for over 12 months
  • Your ex traveled to another state or outside of the country to avoid paying child support

Under these circumstances, penalties can include up to 6 months in prison for a first offense. For a second offense, if child support has not been paid for over 2 years, or if the amount involved is more than $10,000, punishment can include up to 2 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, or both.

Schedule a Consultation with a Knowledgeable Child Support Attorney Today!

If your ex refuses to pay child support, the family law team at William Kirby, Family Law Attorney can provide you with the dedicated service and knowledgeable advice you need to ensure the order is enforced. Our experienced team will help you navigate each step of the process, including the difficult details, such as legal paperwork.

Reach out to our law office today at (215) 515-9901 to schedule a consultation with a skilled member of our legal team.