Skip to Content
Call to Setup a Consultation 215-515-9901

Seeking Post Judgement Modifications During the Pandemic

The financial situations of many people have changed during these many months of social distancing and quarantine. Some have found themselves underemployed, laid off, or suffering illness. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the lives of many Pennsylvanians, and not only has their physical health been tested, but their financial health, too. The state court system may be forced to make considerations regarding the terms of many divorce judgements and court ordered payments.

To request consideration by the court system regarding your judgement, you will need to provide proof of your inability to meet your financial obligations. Modifications to your judgement could take longer than usual because courts are shut down and backlogged. So, the process will not be immediate. It is important that you file for a modification as soon as you realize your situation has changed.

When Can a Judgement Be Modified?

Change in life is inevitable. Judgements are handed down based on your familial situation at the time of the divorce proceedings. When your circumstances change, your financial requirements may seem unfair and impossible. At William Kirby, Family Law Attorney, we can schedule a time to discuss the specifics of your case and work with you to petition for a post judgement modification based on hardship experienced during this unprecedented global pandemic. Modifications to your judgement are possible in Pennsylvania if the circumstance warrant a change. There are several financial and non-monetary modifications that can be made to your judgement.

Judgements open to modifications include:

  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Child support
  • Spousal support
  • Alimony

When working with your legal representative, you need to prove significant life changes that warrant a modification judgement.

Examples of significant changes warranting a modification include:

  • Marriages
  • Births & Adoptions
  • Job Loss
  • Income Changes
  • Relocation
  • Serious Illness & Injury

Even when you provide proof of significant change, it’s not guaranteed that your petition will be accepted as requested. After you submit your modification petition, the court will review your case just as before in your original case. They will consider many factors more than those included in your modification request, so it’s important to secure legal representation who understands the entirety of your case.

Why You Need William Kirby, Family Law Attorney

At William Kirby, Family Law Attorney, we can help you determine the best way to handle your request for a post judgement modification. It’s important that you seek legal representation before beginning your modification request. The process can be complex, and preparation is key to putting forth your best case.

If you need help crafting a petition for a post judgment modification, call us at (215) 515-9901.