Skip to Content
Call to Setup a Consultation 215-515-9901

Relocating with Your Children After a Divorce


A lot in a family’s life can change in the aftermath of a divorce and you may not be able to remain in the same location where you are currently residing. If you share children with your former spouse, you cannot simply uproot and leave, however, especially if the move will make it difficult for the children to maintain a meaningful bond with their other parent. Therefore, if you wish to relocate with your children, you must either work out an agreement with your ex-spouse or petition the court with your request.

What You Should Know About Relocation Cases

When it comes to any child-related matter, family courts will always render decisions based on the best interests of the children involved. Since they believe stability and consistency are paramount to a child’s wellbeing, there is a general reluctance toward modifying child custody arrangements unless the petitioning parent can prove that the new arrangement would better serve the best interests of the children and the move is in good faith.

Here are some factors a judge will examine in such cases:

  • The strength of the children’s bond with both parents.
  • The level of involvement each parent has in the children’s lives.
  • The needs of the children.
  • How the move will impact the children’s educational, physical, and emotional development.
  • If it is practical or desirable for the other parent to relocate as well.
  • If the moving parent is willing to promote the children’s relationship with the other parent.
  • The financial impact of moving or preventing the move.

A parent’s motives for moving will be heavily scrutinized. If your motive for moving appears to be fueled by a desire to harm your ex’s relationship with the children, you are unlikely to be successful.

Schedule a Consultation with a Compassionate Child Custody Attorney

If you would like to relocate with your children to be closer to family, pursue a better job opportunity, or otherwise improve your lives, you will need to hire an experienced attorney to represent your case. At William Kirby, Family Law Attorney, our team will provide the knowledgeable advice and support you need.

Call us today at (215) 515-9901 for a consultation.