Skip to Content
Call to Setup a Consultation 215-515-9901

Post Judgment Modifications During the Pandemic


The financial situations of many people have changed during these many months of social distancing and quarantine. Some people have found themselves underemployed, laid off, or suffering illness. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted many Pennsylvanians' lives, and not only has their physical health been tested, but their financial health as well. The state court system may be forced to make considerations regarding the terms of many divorce judgments and court-ordered payments given the country's economic outlook.

As many residents of the state await financial relief from the government, it can be difficult to know how to proceed. To request consideration by the court system regarding your judgment, you will need to prove your inability to meet your financial obligations. Modifications to your judgment could take longer than usual because some courts are still facing shutdowns and backlogs. So, the process will not be immediate, but you must file for a modification as soon as you realize your situation has changed.

When Can a Judgement Be Modified?

Change in life is inevitable. Judgments are handed down based on your financial situation at the time of the divorce proceedings. When your circumstances change, your financial requirements may seem unfair and impossible. At William Kirby, Family Law Attorney, we can schedule a time to discuss the specifics of your case and work with you to petition for a post-judgment modification based on hardship experienced during this unprecedented global pandemic. Alterations to your judgment are possible in Pennsylvania if the circumstance warrants a change. Several financial and non-monetary modifications can be made to your judgment.

Judgments open to modifications include:

  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Child support
  • Spousal support
  • Alimony

When working with your legal representative, you may also need to prove significant life changes to warrant a modification judgment to certain court orders, like visitation and custody.

Examples of significant changes warranting a modification include:

  • Marriages
  • Births & Adoptions
  • Job Loss
  • Income Changes
  • Relocation
  • Serious Illness & Injury

Even when you provide proof of significant change, it’s not guaranteed that your petition will be accepted as requested. After you submit your modification petition, the court will review all of your case files, including materials from your original case. They will consider many factors more than those included in your modification request, so it’s important to secure legal representation who understands the entirety of your case.

Why You Need William Kirby, Family Law Attorney

At William Kirby, Family Law Attorney, we can help you determine the best way to handle your request for a post-judgment modification. It’s important that you seek legal representation before beginning your modification request. The process can be complex, and preparation is key to putting forth your best case.

If you need help crafting a post-judgment modification petition, call us at (215) 515-9901.